KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 Portfolio Reviews
KAUNAS PHOTO festival has been a festival of premières for future stars of photography since its launch in 2004. The festival is organized every year in Kaunas, the second largest city of Lithuania. Being the longest- running photographic festival in the Baltic States, KAUNAS PHOTO is a platform for dialogue around contemporary photographic creation between North and South, East and West.
KAUNAS PHOTO festival’s main funders are Lithuanian Culture Council and Kaunas Municipality.
The 12th edition of the KAUNAS PHOTO festival announces its Portfolio Reviews that will take place on September 4, 2015.
Photographers from across Europe and beyond are invited to participate in this event. Portfolio Reviews revived in KAUNAS PHOTO in 2010, with a new tradition, under the title of KAUNAS PHOTO STAR, the winners of which are getting an all-inclusive solo exhibition at Kaunas Photography Gallery. This year, exceptionally, KAUNAS PHOTO STAR distinction will be postponed to the following year, while the best of KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 Portfolio Reviews’ participants will enjoy considerable awards, helping them to further develop their artistic careers.
Awards of KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 Portfolio Reviews
- 1000 EUR cash prize – for the Winner;
- One artistic residency at Kaunas Photography Gallery for a selected photographer;
- Two artistic residencies at the historic village of Kražiai, Lithuania for selected photographers;
All three residencies lasting for one month and taking place later in 2015, provide travel & accommodation, artist fee, per diem and open to all photographers regardless of their age, nationality, styles & genres of photography.
Experts / Reviewers
The works will be reviewed by decision-making photography curators of international scope;
- Thomas Schirmboeck – director of ZEPHYR, Mannheim, Germany
- Martin Breindl, FLUSS, Austria
- Anne McNeill – director of Impressions Gallery, Bradford, UK
- Enrico Stefanelli – director of PhotoLux festival, Luca, Italy
- Arnis Balčus – editor of Fotokvartals.lv, board member of Riga Month of Photography
- Marco Cortesi – director of Lugano Photo Days, Lugano, Switzerland
- Michaela Bosakova – curator of Central European House of Photography and Bratislava Month of Photography
- Jean-Marc Lacabe – director of Le Château d’Eau, Toulouse, France
- Gintaras Česonis – director of Kaunas Photography Gallery, Kaunas, Lithuania
- Ieva Meilute Svinkūnienė – curator at Kaunas Photography Gallery, head of Vitas Luckus Photography Centre, Lithuania
- Anna Chistoserdova and Valentina Kiselyova – “Y” gallery (respectively) art director and director, Minsk, Belarus
- Maira Dudareva – director of Latvian Museum of Photography, Riga, Latvia
- Krzystof Jurecki – freelance curator, Lodz, Poland
- Mindaugas Kavaliauskas – director of KAUNAS PHOTO festival
The list will be extended to a minimum of 15 decision-making experts.
Who can register and what kind of works are expected?
Registration to KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 Portfolio Reviews is open to all photographers regardless of their age, nationality, country of residence, styles & genres of photography. All themes, styles, approaches are welcome, yet we expect series of photographs and picture stories only in sets of 12 images. Unshown and unpublished photography is a preference. Even though during the face-to-face portfolio reviews photographers can show multiple bodies of work, application must contain images from one selected body of work of photo story.
How many experts / reviewers will see photographers’ works?
Photographers are offered 5-6 private sessions with reviewers. The first ones to register will get the most meetings, while the afternoon’s portfolio walk will enable all photographers to show their work to the experts. Appointment setting for photographers is reserved to the festival staff. The portfolio walk, organized after the private sessions is meant for the experts to be able to meet all participant photographers and discover their works and exchange ideas with them.
How to register?
Photographers must be send an entry consists of the following:
1) Filled out ENTRY FORM. Download: .Doc, .Pdf
2) descriptive artist’s CV in English – up to 250 words (.doc format);
3) short artistic statement in English about the submitted work (.doc format), no more than 1 page, but preferably up to 250 words;
4) 12-15 pictures in attachment (RGB, 90% quality JPG, longer side 1200 px; file naming: “Name SURNAME_Title-of-series_Individual picture title_01.jpg”)
Attachment: Loose files or zip (no RAR, please), total not more than 10 MB.
Entries by email only, to: email@example.com
E-mail subject: “KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 portfolio reviews – application”
Entries must be sent before 23:59 of 21 August, 2015.
Why do the images need to be emailed as a part of registration, prior to portfolio reviews?
At the first stage of registration process, the portfolio will be previewed for acceptance. Applicants whose works demonstrate artistic aesthetic, technical, conceptual maturity, compelling visual story telling, will be accepted to participate in the reviews and will receive a confirmation of participation email.
Secondly, prior to the event of face-to-face reviews, the works will be reviewed for the selection of candidates for the three artist residencies.
Lastly, the pictures, submitted by photographers, will be used for the folioNIGHT projection of all the photographers’ works in the evening of September 4, that will be culminated by the award ceremony.
Within 24 hours after sending the entry with requested materials, photographer / artist receives a letter of confirmation of participation and is expected to transfer the participant’s fees.
Entrants will receive confirmations of entry receipt, most commonly with a confirmation of participation. KAUNAS PHOTO festival is a platform of emerging photographers that is open to image creators of a variety of backgrounds. Nonetheless, in rare cases, works of beginners or carelessly proposed portfolios are not accepted to participate in the face-to-face reviews, by respect to the experts who are selected and invited to KAUNAS PHOTO based on their long-running reputation of people who not only can bring advice to photographers, but also are in the position to offer exhibiting or other opportunities.
After the deadline of acceptance period, participants receive time-tables and other details of their appointments with experts and the event in general.
While sending the registration entries for showing work at the KAUNAS PHOTO festival’s Portfolio Reviews are free, participation fee of 79 EUR is requested. The fee payment details will be communicated to entrants in the confirmation of participation email. The fee is a non-refundable guarantee of photographer’s participation. Failure to prove the fee transfer might result in a lost opportunity to participate in the reviews.
Photographers / artists are expected to travel to Kaunas and organize their accommodation at their own expense. Travel info can be found on the festival website.
Author’s rights and other legal aspects
While submitting works for consideration to KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 Portfolio Reviews, photographers declare that they are the only owners of the economic author’s rights to the pictures submitted. They agree that in case the submitted works are selected for exhibitions or projections at the festival, they can be further reproduced in materials and forms of artistic or media presentation KAUNAS PHOTO festival, such as, but not limiting to: flyers, invitation cards, post cards, posters, catalogs, projections, slideshows, web sites, including but not limited to that of KAUNAS PHOTO festival for unlimited time in unlimited territory without any royalty payments. Typical examples of showing works outside Kaunas, are slideshows taking place in a variety of partnering photo festivals worldwide – from Ireland to Australia.
Entrants accept their responsibility for the right to the image of persons, models, places, objects or trade marks appearing in the pictures submitted to KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 Portfolio Reviews.
The Winner and the 1000 EUR cash prize
Traditionally, the best participants of portfolio reviews at KAUNAS PHOTO festival are selected by the votes of all the participating experts who are warmly encouraged to study works of all photographers, including those seen only during the afternoon’s Portfolio Walk.
The TOP 4 will be selected by the mathematical calculations of experts’ votes. In case of a tight neighbourhood of votes or large gap between the votes given to photographers, the group of the best might become Top 3, TOP 5, etc.. The winner will be selected from among the best by a committee consisting of the curators of KAUNAS PHOTO festival and the Kaunas Photography Gallery.
The TOP 4, the invitations to the Artists’ Residencies and the Winner will be announced during the folioNIGHT on September 4, starting at 8 PM. Only photographers present at the event of the Portfolio Reviews and the folioNIGHT are eligible for the Winner’s title, its cash award and the invitations to the Artists’ Residencies.
The formalities of the cash prize payment for the Winner will be made as soon as possible, but not later than on September 30, 2015.
Kaunas Photography Gallery Art Residency
This gallery is known as an ideal white box for mid-size to large-scale photography exhibitions. Beyond that, it is well known for other things than its architecture and central location. The name of Kaunas Photography Gallery has been mentioned internationally for the excellence of its publications. This year, one of the world’s most prestigious prizes of photo book publishing, that of the Prix du Livre of Rencontres D’Arles, was awarded to the monograph of Vitas Luckus (Historic Book Category), published by Kaunas Photography Gallery. Moreover, photographers across Europe talk about residencies, run by the gallery since the past several years. One of the participants of KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 Portfolio Reviews will be picked by the gallery curators to be invited to be back in Kaunas after the festival.
A number of great creators of contemporary, such as Catrine Val (Germany), Michal Iwanowski (UK/Poland), Fernando Maquieira (Spain), Colin Gray (Scotland), F & D Cartier (Switzerland) and numerous others have enjoyed enriching their long-term projects or creating stand-alone projects in Kaunas or Lithuania with the help of this residence program.
Kaunas Photography Gallery Art Residency has been established in 2012 to provide an opportunity for national and international audience to realize the connection between traditional photography and new conceptual projects, presenting innovative contemporary undertakings and identity researches, as well as traditional humanistic photography projects. With residency program we hope to interact closely with especially talented, emerging artists, curators and critics and encourage them to make their expectations extremely real.
Most artists visiting Lithuania participate in activities with the local audience that includes artists, curators and art historians and working on their personal projects. As very few residents are accepted at a time, this enables a unique experience where the introductions and assistance is specifically adapted to the resident’s interests and practice. Kaunas Photography Gallery will welcome one artist under the following conditions:
- The residence will last one month between October 1 and December 31, 2015, optionally.
- An artist can be citizen of any country (except of Lithuania) and should reside in Europe;
- An artist should speak English or Russian;
- During the residence, an artist is expected to make one public talk / presentation about his/her earlier art projects to the local community and to present a body of work created during the residence in Kaunas;
- In his artistic undertakings, the resident is expected to bring his/her attentive and peculiar approach to the local identity and culture, the sensitivity to the environment.
Contribution of the organizer:
- Kaunas Photography Gallery provides free accommodation in separate apartment or guesthouse in the center of Kaunas.
- The maximum contribution to the artist’s roundtrip is 350 EUR. Planning of the trip must be done in concordance with Kaunas Photography Gallery;
- The artist will be paid a fee of 500 EUR, transferred to his/her bank account;
- The artist will be paid 217,20 EUR per diem for 30 days for meals via bank transfer or cash.
Candidates for the residence will be selected from the participants of KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 portfolio reviews individually, regardless of the votes of experts. Not only the submitted work, but the overall artist’s profile will be studied before selecting the artist for Kaunas Photography Gallery Art Residence.
Two Artist residencies in Kražiai, from 1 to 30 October, 2015
The historic village of Kražiai (North-West Lithuania) stepped into the world of photography through a documentary project “Portrait of Kražiai” (2001-2003) by the to-become KAUNAS PHOTO festival’s founder and director Mindaugas Kavaliauskas. The exhibitions of “Portrait of Kražiai” have visited galleries, museums and festivals across Europe, also in China, Australia. The work keeps on being exhibited. In 2009, “Portrait of Kražiai” saw the light of the day in form of a book. Pictures of Kražiai, mostly taken in 2002, represent the village in transition, torn apart by economic struggle, growing migration, ageing population and the hopes of the reviving of the glorious past in the new Europe-bound Lithuania. The building of Kražiai college from the 17th century, photographed by Mindaugas Kavaliauskas in 2002 in course of its reconstruction, now is a splendid multicultural palace, which hosts the M.K.Sarbievijus Kražiai Cultural Centre with an art gallery and other facilities. It becomes the epicentre of the Kražiai festival every August.
This very building will become home for two photographers, participants of the KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 portfolio reviews. Kražiai Cultural Centre has been running art residencies featuring musicians and other artists. In 2015, first photographers will join those who will have produced their creative work in the Lithuanian village of Kražiai.
Organiser of the residence, M.K.Sarbievijus Kražiai Cultural Centre will welcome two artists simultaneously under the following conditions.
- The residence will take place from October 1 to October 30, 2015.
- Both artists are expected to arrive in and leave from Kražiai on the same day to facilitate the link to the airport;
- The artists can be citizens of any country (except of Lithuania) and reside in Europe;
- The artists must speak English, or Russian;
- During the month of the residence, each artist is expected to create a body of work ready to be exhibited in the following year or earlier;
- Upon arrival, the artists are expected to present artist talks to the local community about their earlier work and, possibly, describe their idea of the project in Kražiai;
- At the end of the residence, the artists are expected to present the results of the residence to the community;
- Artistic collaboration, involving community is considered a huge advantage.
Contribution of the organiser:
- Each artist will have a small separate apartment with Internet connection, shower, WC in the Kražiai M.K.Sarbievijus Culture Centre, building of 17th century. Meals are available in the town’s canteen. Self-catering possible in a shared kitchenette next to the living space of artists;
- The Maximum contribution to the roundtrip of each artist is 250 EUR. Planning of the trip must be done in concordance with the inviting institution;
- Each artist will be paid a fee of 730 EUR, transferred to his/her bank account;
- Each artist will be paid 217,20 EUR per diem (for meals) for 30 days, via bank transfer of cash.
Candidates for the residence will be selected by from the participants of KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 portfolio reviews individually, regardless of the votes of experts. Not only the submitted work but the overall artist’s profiles will be studied before selecting the two artists / photographers.
KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 Portfolio Reviews Calendar
22 July – 21 August – Applications accepted
4 September from 9 AM to 4 PM – face-to-face Portfolio Reviews in Kaunas with 20 min. intervals and Portfolio walk at the end of the Day.
4 September from 8 PM – folioNIGHT – projection event and Award ceremony. Every photographer briefly presents him/her-self to the audience during 1 minute, while his/her works are screened prior to the announcement of the TOP 4, invitation to the art residencies and the Winner’s title.
Until September 30, 2015 – Payment of the Cash prize to the winner of KAUNAS PHOTO 2015 portfolio reviews
1 – 30 October, 2015 – Residencies of selected photographers in Kražiai
Between 1 October and 31 December, 2015 – One month-long residence of the selected photographer at Kaunas Photography Gallery